Friday, July 6, 2012

Nothing to See Here. Move Along.

Let’s be clear about one thing. I am not at all sad about my life.

I suppose there are plenty of luckless souls who could say they lead a more boring life then me, but I wouldn’t believe it until I see pudding with the proof. That’s right, I am saying I lead the most boring of lives, at least by the standard of some. I am, of course, applying an external judgment, since I am rarely bored. However, I am measuring myself against our culture’s idea of what comprises a complete, fulfilling life … yeah, something like that.

So. Here is what I do.

I would categorize my days in two ways: weekday or weekend, and with kids or no kids. Which, I guess, is really four ways: weekday with kids, weekday no kids, weekend with kids, weekend no kids.

Weekday With Kids
I work a regular, full-time job, so I suppose one could say my weekdays begin when I get home from work. I could talk about work, but, you know, work is work. It is not who I am. I never see or visit with work acquaintances outside of work. Let’s just skip it.

Weekdays begin when I get home from work, which is 6PM. Half the time I go to yoga. The other half I head directly home. We might eat out, or eat in. We do dine out often. Whatever. If the kids are in school then it is usually homework time. If I’m not mixing with the kids I might read, or play a computer game, or watch TV/Netflix. Kids go to bed. I stay up later where I might read, or play a computer game, or watch TV/Netflix. If the kids are not in school then we are more likely to watch a movie/TV together.
 
Weekday No Kids
Pretty much same as with kids. I might eat out at a restaurant/bar and drink some beer. More likely to go to yoga after work if the kids aren’t at home. Otherwise I might read, or play a computer game, or watch TV/Netflix.

Weekend With Kids
When the kids were younger we used to engage in more activities on weekends. Like, the zoo, museum, etc. Now they are teenagers and are more apt to just do their own thing. We’ll go to the movie theater sometimes, and the odd activity here and there. I almost always go to yoga on both Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise I might read, or play a computer game, or watch TV/Netflix.

Weekend No Kids
Pretty much same as with kids. I might eat out at a restaurant/bar and drink some beer. For sure do yoga both days. Otherwise I might read, or play a computer, or watch TV/Netflix.

My Sum is Greater than my Parts
As you can see, it is just me; sometimes accompanied by kids; there are work acquaintances and small talk with those at the restaurants/bars. Otherwise I might read, or play a computer, or watch TV/Netflix.

Nothing to see here; move along.

No comments:

Post a Comment