Monday, January 14, 2013

That That

I used to think that it was fun whenever I could say “that that” in a sentence.
I used to think it was fun whenever I could say “that that” in a sentence. 

Example:

I knew that that dog would not behave.
I knew that dog would not behave.

Then I realized that I was really just saying “that” more than needed.
Then I realized I was really just saying “that” more than needed.

Then I noticed that everyone overuses “that.” Not just in conversation, but I see it in emails, news articles, and books.
Then I noticed everyone overuses “that.” Not just in conversation, but I see it in emails, news articles, and books.

Here is what you need to do. Notice when you write a sentence that includes the word “that.” Then read the sentence with “that” omitted. Remove all that are possible to remove.

Over a week or so I accumulated the following from a variety of sources.

 Glad to hear that your date went well last night.
**Glad to hear your date went well last night.**

If you were to ask someone that knows me they would probably say that I am a pretty funny person that takes sarcasm to the max.
**If you were to ask someone who knows me they would probably say I am a pretty funny person who takes sarcasm to the max.**

She could no longer pretend that he wasn’t an idiot.
**She could no longer pretend he wasn't an idiot.**

There isn’t anything that can be done about the viewing of data.
** leave it! **

We will provide a file, and not a query that you can run.
**We will provide a file and not a query you can run.**

Moving that line is simply a matter of societal and cultural change, and technological progress.
** leave it! **

Just want all of you to know that I went to my "likes", of which I had few, and unliked them all so that you will not see them as advertising in your news feed.
**Just want all of you to know I went to my "likes", of which I had few, and unliked them all so you will not see them as advertising in your news feed.**

In that moment she realized that she wasn’t really sorry at all and she didn’t really wish him well.
** In that moment she realized she wasn’t really sorry at all and she didn’t really wish him well.**


That ought to do it!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment